13 Valleys Ultra Training Weekends
Join us on our two day (two nights) training weekends in the heart of the Lake District.
Targeted towards beginner to intermediate levels, the weekends will be packed full of trail running coaching, gear testing, map navigation and expert talks (In association with Lake District National Park, Lake District Foundation, YHA, Bridgedale, Ordnance Survey, Petzl, Riixo Recovery ). You'll stay at YHA Patterdale, a lively Scandinavian style retreat that is ideal for exploring the surrounding ridges and fells. Built in the 1970s and with a unique look all of its own, YHA Patterdale recently had a stylish makeover and has never looked better.
Location: Patterdale, Penrith CA11 0NW
Dates: Friday 21 to Sunday 23 April, or Friday 23 June to Sunday 25 June.
Price: £250 per person
Age criteria: All participants to the training weekends must be aged 20 years old or over.
Who is it for?
Training weekends are targeted towards beginner to intermediate levels. For runners who want to run their first trail running race or their first Ultra, to experienced trail runners who want to learn more about map navigation, using poles or just want to meet like-minded people and have a fun weekend!
- Friday and Saturday night accommodation at Patterdale YHA (note: this is single-gender premium dormitory accommodation)
- Food all weekend (breakfast, lunch and dinners with tea/coffees and cakes)*
- Two full days of training with world-class tutors and coaches
- Talks with Ordnance Survey and Petzl
- Guided run on part of the 13 Valleys route
- A fun weekend with like minded people.
*If you have any specific dietary requirements let us know during the weekend.
What’s not included?
- Extra accommodation if you want to stay on the Sunday night.
Where will I stay?
You will stay at Patterdale YHA (Patterdale, Penrith CA11 0NW) which is a single-gender premium dormitory accomodation.
What’s the course programme?
- Meet at Patterdale YHA on Friday evening from 6 – 8pm for an informal gathering.
- Saturday 9am – Formal introduction to the weekend programme (objectives, initial FAQs)
- 10am – Split into different groups: short walking practical activity session outdoors Basic map navigation (myth busting!), GPS, using poles, equipment
- 12.30am - Lunch in Hostel
- 1.30pm – Regroup and carry on morning activities + go for a run
- 4.30pm – Tea, coffee and cake (or TLC as we call it – Tea Learning Cake)
- 5pm – Indoor session: which equipment is mandatory for an ultra and why
- 6pm – Dinner
- 7.30pm – Discussion around nutrition, footcare and medical presentation
- 8pm – finish and pub!
- 9am – Split into groups of different running abilities to go for a run on the trails
- (Lunch on the move) 3pm – back for Tea and Medals and a review before departures.
Ultra Trail runner Beth Pascall, who won Ultra Trail Cape Town in 2019 and Western States 100 in 2021, will be attending the June training weekend to do a Q&A session.
Who’s leading the training weekend?
Joe Faulkner will be leading both training weekends. Joe is a qualified Mountain Leader and Instructor (MIA, Winter ML, and AMI member), an experienced kayak/canoe tutor, and Rope Access Technician. Joe is also a professionally qualified Trainer and Safety Manager. He created The Great Lakeland 3 Day Mountain Trial, Haweswater Half Marathon and the Tour de Helvellyn.
Joe is a very experienced mountaineer, fell runner and adventure race competitor racing more than a dozen ultras and completing all four Dragons Back Races over a 25 year period. He created Nav4 Adventure, to teach navigation to mountain marathon runners as well as offering training, coaching and mountain based activities.
What Kit shall I bring with me?
- Off road running shoes
- Running gear (leggings, shorts, tees and don't forget running socks!)
- Waterproof running jacket
- Water bottle
- Hat or buff
- Anything you'd bring for a weekend away (a towel, toiletries and change of clothes).
How do I sign up?
To book a place, simply click the button below for the weekend you want to attend and follow the link to sign up and pay. You'll receive an email confirming your place, and we'll be in touch before the weekend with any relevant information you may need.
Places are limited, so we recommend signing up early to avoid missing out!